Terminator 2: Judgement Day

"I know now why you cry. But it's something I can never do."   - T-800

release year: 1991
genre: sci-fi action
viewing setting: most recently, home Bluray 12/31/21 and 2/8/16 and home DVD 12/19/14 and 11/26/07 and 5/13/06 and 7/1/02

synopsis: After its failed attempt to prevent its downfall, Skynet again sends an assassin back in time, and the human resistance again sends someone to stop it.

impressions: In 1986, James Cameron took a great but not blockbuster movie and made a sequel that surpassed it and really turned heads. That movie was Aliens. He did it again in 1991 with this movie; while The Terminator was well-done and a classic in its own right, this sequel is one of the ten best movies ever made. The plot is tighter, the acting more and better, the bad guy much more dangerous, the special effects out of this world, and the action sequences breathtaking. I remember seeing this movie in the theater in 1991 and thinking, "whoa, if you're driving an 18-wheeler fast enough, you can plow through anything!" This is the first movie I ever stood in line at the theater for, and I'd do it again if I could.

Special Edition notes: This DVD contains material not seen in the theatrical version. Rather than summarize it here, I point you to this link which lists everything. Like Cameron's other Special Edition DVDs (Aliens, The Abyss) this one is crammed with cool and interesting extras.

things to watch for: There are many worthy candidates, but I choose the battle at the Cyberdyne building. It's not every day that you get to see a minigun brought into play.

acting: Arnold is better this time around, probably because he is given a lot more to work with; this may be his finest role. Linda Hamilton gives a radical change from her character in the first movie, with the veteran survivor role here. Edward Furlong does okay as the kid, though his shrill voice grated on me at times. Robert Patrick exudes menace as the lethal T-1000.

final word: This comes as close to perfection as a movie can.

back to the main review page